Friday, April 27, 2012

Office Space Update

 How do you solve a problem like an office space?


Living in a one bedroom apartment means that my "office" isn't its own separate room, but rather a corner of my bedroom. While I would have preferred to put my desk in the living room, the fact is my bedroom is just a lot bigger and more suited to sharing.
When I first moved in this was what the space looked like:




Basically there was a hand-me-down desk from my sister, plus a bookcase and a plastic storage cart (hidden on the other side of the desk). I also had to use one of my chairs from my set of 4 dining room chairs.
Today there has been a little bit of improvement. I bought a brown faux-leather parson chair on sale for $40, and found a cream coloured slipcover for it. This Christmas I also received a two-drawer filing cabinet from my parents, and a picture frame/cork-board from my sister Kristin.



Along with the cork-board I also hung up three other pieces of art, the post-card looking canvas was a gift from my mom, a framed card designed by Taylor Swift and freebie I  download from Simply Fresh Designs, which you can find here in a variety of colours.




But of course it still isn't ideal, especially because I'm using it more for this blog, and because I've started to do some freelance writing for a local newspaper. Another problem with the space is that I also have to use it to get ready in the morning since my bathroom is teeny-tiny and has no outlet for me to plug in my curling iron/straightner/blow dryer.
I was able to solve the problem of storing all my "beauty tools" with a basket I picked up at Winners. It sits on top of my filing cabinet and works great to corral everything and keeps my desk clear of clutter.




But fixing up my office space overall seems to be a bit more challenging. Overall I think the greatest improvement would be a new desk.  My current desk was a free hand-me-down from my sister, and though it does the job, it is a bit to small (I would like to be able to move my printer off the bookshelf and onto the desk) and is beginning to fall apart (one ofthe wheels is broken so I prop it up with a piece of cardboard.).There a couple ideas I have floating around in my head, one of them is building one of these two desks from Ana White





Ideally my desk would be stylish yet still have a lot of storage so that I could get rid of my plastic storage cart.
What do you think, do you have any ideas to help make my office corner a little prettier and more functional?


Happy Decorating,
Courtney


*last two pictures from here


I linked up here:


Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingThe Shabby Nestfreckled laundryTruly Lovely Blog

4 comments:

  1. I'd say, you are off to a great start. I, too, have to share my 'office' with another room. Your corner office, already has a very stylish feel to it...I can't wait to see how you finish it.

    amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home office looks complete enough in terms of office supplies. I think what you need is a little paint job on the ceiling to make it look more vibrant. In that way, any guest that comes in will feel excited. Well, the decision still rest in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing how you are fixing your office space and for the pictures as well. This certainly helps out those who are still starting to design their own work corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great post! Your project can be really helpful for others who also want to spruce up their home offices. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...