Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Second Chance Dresser

This weekend I decided to tackle a project that I've been debating for quite a while. You see about a year and a half ago I moved to my own place in a new city to start my first real, full time job. Like most people in my position I imagine I really didn't have any furniture, but luckily I was able to grab some hand me downs from my family, including a dresser from my older sister.


I think she either got it free off the side of the road or for a couple of bucks in a garage sale, but it did the trick. The pros of the dresser were #1, it was free and #2 it was big and could hold a lot. The cons, #1 it was pretty ugly (you might not be able to see it in the picture but it is made out of this wood-looking material that doesn't have a nice finish and has a lot of chips and dents and scratches) and #2 the bottom drawer was somehow broken, making it hard to slide it and the drawer above it in completely.

My first idea was to grab this dresser from IKEA for $169, but even though it is a good price, it was still more than I was willing to spend on a dresser that I wasn't sure was big enough and that I wasn't sure I really needed.
So I decided to give my own dresser a second chance with a little makeover. So I hopped over to the Home Depot and picked up two $4.99 paint sample cans, one in CIL's Antique White and the other in Behr's Silver Hill.


The first step in my dresser makeover process was to sand down all the surfaces, and then I went over it all with a damp cloth to pick up all the dust.

The problem that it turned out I had with the bottom drawer was because the bottom of the drawer had become unstapled from the rest of it. I simply took my hammer and hammered in two finishing nails and presto, good as new!



All of the drawers got three coats of the Antique White while the dresser itself got one coat of the Antique White and two of the Silver Hill.

I'm quite happy with the result, although I would have preferred if the Silver Hill had dried a little darker/greyer and not as blue as it turned out. Overall though it is a big improvement on how it was originally, and it only cost me under $10 for the paint and about $10 for the paint brushes and sandpaper, all of which I can still use again.


Here's a side-by-side before and after to leave you with.


Happy painting,
Courtney

* dresser photo came from IKEA.ca

I linked this post here:

Tip Junkie handmade projects






4 comments:

  1. soaking up all the incredible inspiration today!

    come visit my blog and giveaway:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/04/april-giveaway.html

    smiles to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up about your giveaway Michele!

      Delete
  2. Saw your link on Made in a Day.

    You did a really good job on the dresser! I love taking something old and making something beautiful out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dresser looks great! We hope you'll be back to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We loved having you! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...