Friday, May 4, 2012

Childhood Bulletin Board

When my sisters and I got our own rooms we all got a desk and a bulletin board. We were so excited to have grown up stuff and loved to sit at our desks doing homework, crafts, and journalling. I took my desk to college with me and had it for the first couple years of my marriage. The desk, however, started to get worn and tired from moving so much. It also didn't fit into our new teeny, tiny apartment. So, a trip to IKEA was in order. The hubby and I found the perfect desk for our space.


I still wanted to use the bulletin board, but it just didn't fit into the decor any more. I set to work looking for the perfect way to spice it up. I thought a piece of fabric over the cork board part and a coat of paint on the frame would revamp it. You know I can't sew from when I made my door hanger, but I can staple.

I have to admit that I called on Mr. Firefly to help me take apart the bulletin board. It was stuck together! I thought it would be a simple matter or taking out a nail or staple, but this was not the case. Check out what Mr. Firefly found when he finally managed to get the corner apart!


There was a huge piece of metal that went through the whole piece of wood. I'm glad we were able to get it apart and slide out the cork board by just opening one corner. I then cut the fabric and started to staple it on just as you would upholster.



I know it didn't need to look perfect because it was just going back in the frame. But it was easy to do and I wanted it to fit back nicely. I painted the frame and nice white to go with the polka dots.


I then put the fabric-covered cork board back into the frame. Voila! A beautiful bulletin board that fits in our little tiny office. I love how it turned out, but I thought it needed a little something. I have a billion white tacks, but they are boring and hard to grab. I found these cute brads at Hobby Lobby for $2.

I cut off the ends and super glued the tacks to my fingers the brads. They work perfectly on my new bulletin board.

I'm really happy how it turned out. Just in time for me to go back to school next week.


Now we just need a nice desk chair to go with our great desk area. I would also love to paint a different colour on the walls. Too bad we can't in a rented space.

Happy Crafting,
Kristin

PS: Check here to see where we link up.

3 comments:

  1. This turned out so cute! Looks great in your office space! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Hope you will be back next week! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

    Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the idea of covering a bulletin board. I remember getting a bulletin/white board for Christmas. It was SOO cool.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty! I love the fabric. And the push pins are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...