Monday, July 23, 2012

Balloon Dart Art

What a wonderful weekend! I had been planning this weekend for a long time and I can't believe that it's over. My beautiful sister-in-law and I have been waiting for warm weather to try out an art technique involving darts and balloons. On Sunday we finally had the opportunity.

The first step was to paint our canvases with a background colour. I chose blue and she chose brown. That was by far the easy part.

The next step was to blow up balloons with paint inside. I never thought it would be so difficult. We chose to use water balloons because they are smaller. We thought they would give us the right effect. We blew them up to stretch them out. I don't think water balloons were meant to be blown up. We definitely lost some brain cells. Then we inserted the nozzle you would use to fill them with water and poured paint inside. My paint was thin and watery and went in nicely. Her paint was thicker and we had to use the end of a paint brush to push it into the balloon. Then we blew the balloon up and tied it off. It sounds easier than it was. We were both victims of balloon explosions as we were blowing them up. And we both inhaled the paint by accident. This should have been an outside job, but we didn't think that far ahead and had to clean up some walls, purses, the floor, etc...

Finally it was time for the fun part. We took everything outside and set up against a fence. We attached the balloons to the canvas with thumb tacks.

Throwing the darts was so much fun. I know that I will never be good at that game though. I ended up kind of dropping the dart on top of the balloon because I couldn't throw straight.

I just love how they turned out. The splatter effect is amazing.


Happy Crafting,

PS: Here's where we link up.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun project! Had to laugh at your description of blowing up the balloons! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...